The use renewable sources of energy and cost-effective, as well as energy-efficient lighting systems, has increased tremendously over the years for the most obvious reasons, and rightly so. Add to it, there have been a lot of innovations in this field, thanks to the growing demand for LEDs in indoor, as well as outdoor lighting. Some of these innovations include vapor tight LED lighting systems. Usually, we tend to switch off the lights on terraces and balconies in case of heavy rains because of short circuit risks. However, vapor tight lighting and fixtures have been especially designed to withstand wet conditions. This post discusses the features, and benefits of vapor tight lighting, along with the ideal locations for their fitment.
Typical Features of LED Vapor Tight Lighting Systems
LED vapor lights and their fixtures are designed to withstand humidity, as well as cold temperatures. Their fixtures do not allow the entry of moisture within them, and hence reduce the risk of short circuits. Importantly, these are different from vapor proof fixtures. They have a bright light and consume lesser power compared to incandescent lights. Here are some features of LED vapor lights:
- They are durable and produce a powerful, bright light.
- They are designed to not only withstand wet environments but also dirt and dust.
- They can be either surface mounted or hung on a chain.
- Their fixtures are also durable with liners made of complete metals.
- They are enclosed in a fiberglass casing with a high impact diffuser.
- Their wattage ranges between 18 and 50 Watts.
Benefits of LED Vapor Tight Lighting Systems
Also known as “wet location lights”, these luminaires have safe enclosures and gaskets, which increase their durability. Their resistance to dust, water, and moisture makes them extremely adaptable. Here are a few other benefits of these lights:
- Level of Luminosity: They produce the kind of bright light exactly required in damp areas which may be slightly dark. They are available in a variety of color temperatures, so the level of brightness can be adjusted according to the application requirements or visual perception. The light is evenly distributed, and hence the visibility level is equal throughout the covered area.
- Reduced Energy Consumption: It is a well-known fact that LEDs help save energy as they produce high luminosity at low wattages, thus utilizing almost 50% lesser energy than incandescent lighting. In the long run, this leads to a huge amount of energy saving, if you calculate on annual terms.
- Long Operational Life: The method by which LEDs produce light largely contributes to their operational life. The energy here is released in the form of photons. There is no filament which can break. Even if they produce light, they are much cooler when you touch them compared to incandescent lighting. The sturdy enclosures are an added advantage.
- Minimal Maintenance: These lights do not heat up much, and are not affected by cycling and energy fluctuations like their older counterparts. In terms of physical features, they are equipped with sturdy enclosures. All these factors reduce the overall maintenance and related costs.
Ideal Locations to Fit LED Vapor Tight Lighting
In general, LED vapor tight lighting is ideal in places, which are damp and tend to hold moisture. They are commonly used in these locations:
- Basement Parking Lots
- Industrial Units
- Food Processing Facilities
- Shopping malls
- Fire Hydrants
- Automotive Repair Facilities
- Storage Areas
If you are looking for the right LED vapor proof lighting systems, make sure you source them a known manufacturer and supplier with all the required certifications. Also, ensure they have IP 65 and IP 66 standard ratings. These ratings are given on the basis of their resistance to dust and moisture. An AP66 rating implies that the LED vapor light is designed to withstand huge amounts of water such as rains or sea water. E2 Lighting USA is a renowned manufacturer of superior-quality and environmentally-friendly LED indoor as well as outdoor lighting solutions.