LED wall packs are a long-lasting and energy-saving solution, which can be easily mounted on outdoor or exterior walls. These extremely luminous and durable lights not only save energy but also reduce the level of light pollution. These wall packs come in various wattages, and with some really beneficial features. However, apart from the wattage, the lumens of the bulb is an important factor to be considered as it states the exact amount of visible light produced by the source. This increases the brightness quotient. Aside all this, nowadays these wall packs have plenty of features such as inbuilt sensors among others. This post discusses the types and features of wall packs and how to choose the right one for your application.
Major Types of LED Wall Packs
Here are some known types of LED wall packs:
- Full-Cutoff LED Wall Packs: Cutoff lighting offers an angle to the wall pack that enables to focus on a specific or required area, rather than a broad spectrum illumination. Although they are fixed or rigid light packs, full-cutoff LED wall packs are energy efficient, bright, and environmentally friendly.
- Rotatable Wall Packs: Rotatable wall packs allow the beam to rotate with the purpose of highlighting a given area such as a landscape.
- Integrated Motion Sensor Wall Packs: Using sensors in wall packs offer extra benefits. These wall packs are fitted with a motion sensor, which detects motion in the dark and illuminate if there’s someone around.
Factors You Should Consider When Choosing a Wall Pack
LED wall packs increase the security of areas where they are installed. They can be mounted on outer areas of buildings, premises of hotels, hospitals and gardens, campuses of educational institutions and universities, streets, and industrial units. Choosing the right wall pack for your application is crucial. Here are some pointers which may be of help when making a decision:
- Photocells: Compliance to dark sky is an important aspect when choosing a wall pack. A photocell enables detection of light. Once it detects light, the fixture light switches off and it switches on when it is dark. So, this helps conserve energy. In some places, having photocells for exterior wall packs is mandatory.
- Sensors: Motion sensors and occupancy sensors help detect movement. So, the moment they sense occupancy in the area, the lights turn on, else they remain in a dormant mode. These are all ways and means to save energy consumption.
- Warranty: When buying a wall pack, watch out for the warranty on defect-free materials, fixtures, color, light output, and an operational life of at least five years from the date of delivery.
- Certifications: Complying with standards and certifications is a must for all LED pack manufacturers. When buying, one must look for DLC and UL certifications, as well as ROHS compliance.
- Wet and Dampness Rating: Since LED wall packs are largely meant for outdoor environment, checking their resistance to rain and damp atmosphere is important. Check for the UL Wet rating when buying a wall pack that would be exposed to a rainy and humid environment. If the ones without this rating are installed in a wet area, their operational life may be limited.
- Lumens: Lumens gives us the exact amount of light visible to our eyes. The more the lumens the greater is the brightness of the lamp.
- Wattage: This is basically the operating power of a light in Watts. So, more wattage is required for covering large areas.
- Operational life and maintenance: LEDs use diodes for illumination instead of the regular filament. So, the chances of breakage within the lamp are low, like it happens in incandescent lamps with filaments. Thus, LED wall packs are low on maintenance and offer a good operational life of four to five years on an average.
Benefits of LED Wall Packs
By now must of us know that LED wall packs are a great alterative to incandescent or sodium vapor type of lighting. We also know that they have a long operational life and consume less power. Here are a few other benefits:
- They are free of mercury and lead.
- They are cost effective over a period of time as they save on energy bills
- They help reduce the carbon footprint and hence are environmentally friendly
- Their white bright is soothing and very similar to natural light.
- They are low on maintenance and easy to install.
- They do not produce a humming sound.
If you are looking for the right LED wall pack for your building exteriors, make sure you source them a known manufacturer and supplier with all the required certifications. E2 Lighting USA is a renowned manufacturer and distributor of superior-quality and environmentally-friendly LED outdoor lighting solutions. Their LED wall packs are ROHS compliant, and come in the wattage range between 25 and 80 Watts with a warranty period of five years.