Efficient lighting systems are crucial in closed or indoor areas such as office spaces, warehouses, retail stores, playing courts, manufacturing facilities, and so on. High bay lights, if used in such places, give out a uniform luminosity with the required level of brightness. Much is being spoken about using renewable energy sources and reducing power consumption, and rightly so. In such a scenario high bay LED lights meet most of the criteria. Much like high bay, there are low bay LED lighting systems. The post focuses on the concept and significance of high bay LED lighting, the difference between high bay and low bay lighting systems, and their benefits.
Understanding the Concept of High Bay Lighting Systems
High bay lighting and its requirements are different from other bright and energy-efficient lighting systems. These are especially useful in spaces with high ceilings, and hence are a good option for playing courts, warehouses, and so on, wherein the ceiling is higher than normal. So, in this case, more than the light type such as LED or relevant fixtures, the position and angle of the lights and their height from the floor is crucial. Usually, these lighting systems are preferred in spaces where the ceiling is at least 25 feet or higher.
Difference between High Bay and Low Bay Lighting Systems
As the name suggests, low bay lighting systems are used where the distance between the floor and ceiling is less than 20 feet. This requires much lesser planning in terms of positioning and angles compared to high bay lighting. Here are some major differences:
- Low bay area lighting can do away with shallow angles and effectively work as spot lighting in specific areas. In case of high bay area the uniformity of illumination and position, as well as angles, hold importance.
- Low bay area lighting systems add aesthetic value to the area, and have a variety and shapes of fixtures, and lighting types. On the other hand, high bay area lighting systems are generally robust and corrosion resistant especially the ones fitted on production units and other places with a harsh environment. They come in simple designs which may not have an aesthetic appeal.
Benefits of High Bay Lighting Systems
High bay lights can be used for creating a spotlight effect, as well as diffused lighting, and many types of lights such as plasma, incandescent bulbs, and LED can be used as part of high bay lighting. However, high bay LED lights have some obvious benefits. Here are some benefits of high bay lighting systems with a focus on LEDs:
- The initial investment in an LED high bay lighting system will be much more than the others. However, in the long run, it will save both energy consumption and costs.
- The energy efficiency is much higher with LEDs and they illuminate instantly and more at a minimum wattage compared to an incandescent bulb.
- In an office space or a large industrial area, they can be effectively used along with microwave sensors to detect motion and then illuminate. This helps save energy as well.
- Fluorescent lights such as T5 lights are useful in small areas, where a narrow beam angle can produce bright light. These are good for corner areas or dark areas in warehouses, and are cheaper than LEDs.
- LEDs are safe for the environment. On the other hand, fluorescent lights contain mercury, and hence it is crucial to follow the standard procedures when disposing them.
If you are looking for the right high bay LED system for your office or warehouse be sure to check the technical features listed on the pack. Also, always source them from a known manufacturer and supplier with all the required certifications. E2 Lighting USA is a renowned manufacturer of superior-quality and environmentally-friendly high bay LED indoor lighting solutions. They comply with the ROHS norms and are known to provide energy-efficient solutions.